Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day #23 - Choose a Quote that Means Something to You

Choose a quote that means something to you...

The first quote that came to mind is kind of like my mission and my mantra in life - I have loved it ever since I heard it, maybe a decade ago.  And, even though it isn't a super inspiring quote in the traditional sense, it still very much applies to how I have recovered, so I'm going to share it today:
I'm not going to recover by keeping still and keeping my hands folded neatly in my lap all while wearing the smallest pant size possible and not making any waves.

I'm not going to recover by conforming.

I'm not going to recover by keeping silent.

But

I'm going to recover by laughing, and being loud.

I'm going to recover by rocking spandex meant to look like denim at Ross.

I'm going to recover by breaking the rules, and bending what society thinks I should be and what I should look like.

I'm going to recover by writing a life story that is gritty and at times unsavory and not very lady-like.

I'm going to recover by being real.

And if that means I misbehave from time, to time, then so be it.

I am many things.  But "well-behaved" isn't one of them.  And I'm okay with it.

3 comments:

Liz Hughes said...

I love that quote. I look up to women who makes splashes.

Arielle Lee Bair said...

Woot! I have silver earrings that have this fantastically quote printed on them. :)

L said...

I love it. It is taking me a good long time to recover, and I'm having to find my own path! laughing and kitty loving and caffeine drinking are all part of it, as is ROSS!