Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fixing You

I woke up this morning to a persistent tap tap tap I could hear coming from down the hall. I rolled over and stretched as far as I could to look out the bedroom door without getting off the bed. And, in the distance, was Cade, kneeling on the floor, single-mindedly hammering at something with his new toy hammer. He looked up, and caught my eye. “I’m fixin’ it, Mommy! I’m fixin’ my Spongebob!” I smiled and replied, “That’s so good, Baby! Keep going!” And with that, I rolled over, and tried to catch a few more Z’s before I’d have to get up for good.


[a few minutes later]

I can feel a tapping on my feet and toes and legs. They’re mostly soft taps, but there are some quick raps in there for good measure. I look down, and there’s ‘Lil C, banging away. He looks up at me, eyes bright, all smiles and lashes and dimples. “I’m fixing you, Mommy! I’m fixing you!” I laugh and give him a hug and a kiss. “Are you all better now, Mama? Yay! ALL BETTER!”

And then I think. And it hits me.

I am all better. I woke up this morning for the first time in weeks without a headache, and without a dread for the day ahead.

So, ‘Lil C, thank you. Thank you for fixing me, time and time again.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

That little man has the magic touch.

Heather Lindquist said...

This is a beautiful post, Brie. You should print it out and frame it. For real. To remind yourself that even when you're broken that, yes, you can be fixed, even by a silly toddler : )

I'm so happy you feel better today. Hang on to that feeling and go about your day reminding yourself that you're better, maybe not ALL better, but you're better than you were even 5 minutes ago!

KC said...

glad you're feeling better! how precious. sounds like a time out and Lil C are just what you needed.

Jackie said...

I am SO happy today was good. Nothing like sweet Cade to make the day better :) I hope you continue waking up without headaches and without the feeling of dread - you deserve it! xoxo

Brooke said...

Isn't it funny how kids are sometimes are biggest obstacle to our so-called "happiness" and relaxation and having fun. But, really, in the end, they are the ones who keep us going no matter what and love us un-conditionally.

Krista said...

Don't ya just love little boys! I of course wanted a little girl when I was prego, but now I see that little boys are just too damn cute for words.

kristin said...

That's awesome, Brie. I'm so happy for you.

Take care.

love, kristin

ps: did you get my last email?

Tanya said...

B,
This put a huge grin on my face. Maybe we all need a little fixing? I am glad you are feeling better. Thats a lot. I was at costco today and I thought of you when I passed a machine that claimed to be an allergen remover. Anyhow...hugs. I hope you are ok. Hugs.

K said...

Sounds like Cade is your best therapy!

Standing in the Rain said...

I love the way kids can do that. Just pull you out of yourself for even a few minutes and see the simplicity and beauty in life.

Here's to many more mornings starting with the same thought. Cheers!

Penny said...

Oh boy, (maybe thats why we say it) Or maybe thank heaven for little boys! Cade is a wonderment all by himself! Glad you found some
joy in the journey" today. That's all that matters and all that we really have. I love you!

Flighty said...

Awwww! This is so beautiful! What a blessing he is!

Zena said...

children are blessed with the gift of innocence...He has fixed you I am sure more then once I know my little guys have. Iam so glad you are feeling GOOD today!!! you deserve it. Lil C is a doll, just had to throw that in...

love, Z

lucky said...

Well that's not at all cute... :D

Keely said...

I LOVE this post. :) Thanks for sharing.