Thursday, February 19, 2009

Back in the Day Thursday

It is August 4, 2006, at approximately 5:00 pm. My newborn son has just been put in my arms, and, despite the fact I’m so weak from four hours of pushing during contractions that were 30 seconds apart with little or no medication, (i.e. an epidural) I am in reverent and grateful awe for this miracle in my arms. How can he be so beautiful? How did I push an almost 8 lb vag ripper out of me? And why do I not care that I’m bleeding and in pain and feel like I got run over by a truck?

I don’t care because I see my beautiful boy. The boy I made, the boy I cared for and nurtured, the boy that made me a mother the second he was conceived. As I look at his enormous bright blue eyes, the pain melts away. And I realize that I’d do it all over again. The pain, the nausea, the bed-rest, the trips to the ER, the worry, the incessant worry…yes, I know, I’d do it all again, over and over for him in a flat heartbeat if I had to.

I’m inspecting him now, making sure he has all ten fingers and toes and belly button and ears that aren’t too big. And, as I look at him, I notice his nipples. His cute little button nipples.

And, in my weak, pregnancy/birthing fogged brain, I announced loudly, to the dozen or so people in the room,

Brandon, Cade’s nipples are BIGGER than your’s!”

Leave it to me to slander a once in a lifetime moment. Yes, leave it to me...

16 comments:

KC said...

haha, why do men have nipples anyway? THis is so sweet, a beautiful post.

Unknown said...

LOL... I wish I could say I was shocked at what you said but at this point I'm thinking more like, "of course she said that!" LOL... hilarious.

I started bawling when I held our babe. I didn't know he had 10 toes and 10 fingers 'til the day after.

Courtney said...

I'm sitting here holding my little guy and so sorry for the cheesiness but this post melts my heart! Isn't it amazing how the excruciating pain, the incessant worries, the sacrifice of life as you once knew it all pale in comparison with the amount of joy and purpose these little guys bring?

K said...

I love this post. I am no where near the stage of my life where I have a child, but it's comforting to know that all the horrific pain of childbirth is worth it because it scares me sh-tless!

Standing in the Rain said...

awwww. you are too damn cute brie!

Laura said...

I thought this post was heading in a different direction...didn't see the nips coming my way. Hey...how crazy...we both posted about nipples today????

cute baby bundled up like a burrito....ALMOST makes me want another...ALMOST (but not really)

Zena said...

well it definately makes me want another!!! why do boys have nipples?? you handeled like a champ...you rock and so does cade!!

love, Z

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

You are wonderful! Thanks for sharing this. But you're not helping me eliminate my desire for a child...which is why I'm puppy shopping this weekend...

kathy with a k said...

I think we never get tired of re-living our childbirth stories. As precious as the babes themselves.

When my sister (not Laura/Punky/Anne Hathaway) had her 3rd, (or maybe it was the 5th) I remember her describing her new daughter saying "she even has a tongue!" Such awe.

Penny said...

New Moms deserve to say anything they want. Those first few moments are the best of all. I'm happy that you are happy remembering.....

Brooke said...

Random thoughts from birth and delivery. I have those often...95% of them not good. I'm glad you could focus on a funny memory.

Heather Lindquist said...

Hey...I loved this post. It's so nice to re-live things like that. Oh....how did you come up with Cade's name?

tawny said...

ohhh sweet! I love your pic of you and Cade....what a hot momma. Love the nipple phrase...

you were like a pioneer having that baby...no meds, epidural, hot pain, craziness, but you did it...!! You are the woman!!

brie said...

H, Brandon thought of the name. Caden is actually a very popular name, though, but before B said anything about it, I'd never heard it before. Here I thought we were being original, when every other kid on the block has the same name!

Stacy said...

I don't need to want another... I already have a little one. but your post made me want those first moments again since I didn't really get them with Ashtyn.

oh and in case you didn't know his nips were big cause cause of your hormones. but you probably know that now.

Anonymous said...

Brie, that's so sweet. It almost makes me think I might maybe one day be willing to have children. Almost.