Friday, January 4, 2008

Save Yourself

I detest feeling so hopeless.
I am embittered trying to help someone that won't allow me.
She declares claims of wanting help and desires to change, but then no plea for help is uttered from her lips,
and
she continues on in her self-destructive ways.
It's so hard to watch:
Like seeing a little child wander closer and closer to the edge of a cliff
and they laugh at your warnings, deeming them trivial
thinking
that they know better than you
and that
they'll be fine; survive - somehow.
Well guess what?
It's a long fall.
And you don't survive something like that.
And you won't, either.
Open your eyes!
Be willing to be wrong
and
save yourself. And
please
please
let me help you.

5 comments:

alana.rachelle said...

isn't that the truth?! i wish SO badly that we could force people to accept the help that's been forced on us, but as we all know, it just can't work that way. they have to choose it for themselves and it kills me to stand by and watch the avalanche build. i've been thinking a lot about it too and...there's nothing we can do and that sucks!

Shannon said...

Very cool poem. it sucks watching people you care about set themselves up for misery. I'm not working at cfc anymore, not since july. I work at a different place with drug and alcohol addiction patients just over in midvale. i laughed when i read about your hubby smiling at your resolution. Shopping is a lot of fun but can get out of hand. i have had to make myself stop now. :)

Heather Lindquist said...

I think all this, what you wrote, is so honestly truthful,and incredibly difficult to watch, but also gives us a glimpse of what it must've been like for those who loved US through all our pain, sorrow, self-destruction, and resistance to help. We've been on THAT side, and now that we're actually asking for and receiving help it IS hard to see those who don't care as much. But I think it's good too....to be on this "other" side for a change, albeit very, very challenging and mind-boggling!

Anonymous said...

Be willing to be wrong
and
save yourself. And
please
please
let me help you.

That left me simply breathless :)

Brandon said...

Brie sting, that is the woman I fell in love with at her finest. You look sexiest when you are thinking about another. You make me want to find a cliff to stand near the edge of, if only to have you come and help me and love me. Lucky for me I already have that from you everyday.