Monday, March 15, 2010

In the Family.

Today, I’m especially grateful for family. (pictured Saturday afternoon in the snowstorm, helping my sister move)

On Saturday, Utah had its (in)famous March Snow that seems to occur every year, and defeats all of us Wishing for Spring’ers that pull out the flip flops a little too early. (But shutup I just bought a yellow and gray and white pair from Nordy’s that are tres cute!) We got a ton of snow and it slushed and rained and snowed and dumped on us alllllll day. It was terrible.

But that couldn’t deter me and my family because we were helping my sissy move. Not my story to tell, but on really short notice, she had to move from her home to an apartment because of a really bad human being screwing her over. She is devastated. And there’s nothing we can do to make her feel better, to heal her wounds that are so fresh and so new. So we did what we could: we were there for her. We packed her things and we cleaned her house and we painted her new apartment. We needed my sister to see that there are still good people in this world, that even though her definition of family has been shaken, she still has good sibs and parents and family who will never disregard her or abandon her. Ever.

And as my ENTIRE family: sisters, brothers, parents, nieces and nephews alike, trudged in the snow back and forth to the trucks, packing and unpacking my sister, this badass chick with a hard exterior secretly broke down. I sat in my car and I thanked God for family as I wiped tears from my cheeks. I thanked God that I have a family who would do anything for me or any of us in need, including doing back-breaking work that had us all freezing cold and soaking wet in 20 degree weather. And we disregarded the physical discomforts because family and the ties that bind us are stronger than any freak storm in the middle of Spring.

It reaffirmed for me again that people are good. There are bad seeds everywhere, unfortunately; yes, but there are MORE good people out there, and every day the ratio of good seeds to bad seeds is getting higher and giving me a little more faith in this world. YOU are all giving me more faith in this world

So here’s to good family. May we have them, may we be them, and may we raise them.
I love you Brookie.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I please be a Brown? Your family rocks my socks. You are all so lucky to have each other.

Much love & support. :)
-nanners

Lou Lou said...

your whanau (family) sounds so amazing.
this made me really think about my beautiful whanau, and how much i love them too, and im so glad you have such a amazing supportive loving family.
xxx

Maeve said...

If your family is ever looking to adopt someone please let me know since I'd love to apply for the position!!

It's wonderful that your family helped to make your sister's tough time a little simpler. You are all good people.

Here's to hoping good things start pouring your way soon!

tawny said...

Brie I loved this post. And I love our family.
I wouldn't survive without it.
We are so lucky to have eachother.

So many changes, so many new roads...At least I know we always have each other's back. LOved your words...xo

Jenny Bay said...

I love this post, it was so inspiring. Your family is so great!

Eating With Others said...

Holy Mackerel that's a lot of family. I'm glad you've got them.

Arielle Bair, MSW, LSW said...

Good for you! And good for your fam. You have a great one. :)

alriggells said...

Your family are rock stars and I admire them to pieces. I am so sorry this happens to good people. I don't know your sister very well, but I know her a little and I think you guys rock. I love you guys and will be thinking about you and praying for you all. Tell B she is in my thoughts and prayers and if I can do anything (after I recoop from my surgery a little more) at work I would love to help out all I can.

Melisa said...

Brie what a great tribute to Brookie and your family. The bond that you guys shares is so indearing. I am always amazed at the strenght that your family has. You guys are all great and I am better person for knowing you all!

Kerri said...

First- your family is awesome. All of them. I love hearing about them and how great they all are. Second though, lots of hugs and good thoughts for your sister with all the crap she is going through. :)

Em said...

I'm a fan of the Brown family. They're good folk and always have your back. And you, my dear, are one of them. Your loyalty and crisis-zapping humor are always appreciated. Long live the Browns.

now.is.now said...

The best part about your relationship to your family is the fact that you KNOW how great it is... so you don't take it for granted and, instead, you are incredibly appreciative and grateful. that is awesome!

lisalisa said...

I love reading about your family! You are blessed with awesome sisters, and they are blessed with you!

t. said...

i am sorry someone hurt your sister, brie. and, i have to say, i'm a touch envious of your uber-awesome family! i am so glad you were all there for your sister and that you know that they will, in turn, be there for you. always. that is a huge thing to be able to say. you all are very blessed, indeed!

ania said...

You absolutely belong in your family, and it's fantastic that you have one another to lean on when anyone is going through a difficult time.

Also? You create inspiration for me more often than you could guess.

Penny said...

You helped me see hope and inspiration at a sad time. I needed it today myself. I, too, love your humor and your heart. I am grateful for each and everyoneand for the power and love of family and friends.

Alexandra Rising said...

Reading about your family makes me smile. You are blessed and I love reading about all the love and care you have for one another.
<3 to your sister

Stella said...

You are so blessed to have such an amazing family. And they are just as blessed to have you :)

Brooke said...

Brie, you may not get this because it is so late. I just got my computer back up.
This post means so much to me. More than you will ever know. You all have been my life supports. You all have kept me breathing and alive. I will forever be indebted.
Thanks for that beautiful post. And always know I have your back too!
Love you sis.