Saturday, March 10, 2012

New House Adventure Week 2

This week we picked out virtually everything that will go in our new home, from the cupboards and light fixtures to the hardwood and carpet.  It was OVERWHELMING.  There were sooooooo many options, and then of course it's so easy to go way over budget because there are so many small things that you think you want to updgrade on, but then the little things add up and they're not so little anymore, and then you kind of sit there and wonder what to do.  Or maybe that's just me.

We are finalizing everything going in our home on the 20th, so we have until then to go back as many times to the design center as we need to feel good about our choices and decide definitively what we want to do.  I think I like my choices, but I've never done this before, so I'm nervous that I may have picked something hideous and totally regret it later, or maybe I'll like it, but everyone that comes to see the home will HATE it but not dare to tell me.  I'm a total novice, so what do I know?  And I feel so pressured to pick quickly because they won't start building your home until all this is picked out, so it was kind of stressful to find what I wanted quickly.  But like I said, I have 10 more days to decide if this is what I really like, and I can always change if I have to.

We tried mostly to stay with the basic stuff that comes with the house, with the exceptions of upgrading to wood floors downstairs and getting nicer carpet.  We upgraded a few other things too, but those were the biggest things we're upgrading (and paying quite an extra chunk for).  Most of the stuff that was a level 1 (that means it comes with the house at no extra cost) was quite nice and suited me just fine.  And really, what do I care if I have an extra expensive doorknob?  No one really notices that crap anyway.  Well, at least I never do.  So, sorry in advance if my cheaper doorknobs offend you!  ;)

Anyway, here are a couple pics I snapped of some of the things we picked out.  The first picture is of the cupboards we picked out with the wood floor.  I'm pretty sure I want to make love to my wood floor.  It' hard to tell in the grainy photo, but it's beautiful.  It has a rustic feel to it, but at the same time, it's really contemporary.  And it's not the normal color you'd picture with a wood floor; I love that it's in cooler tones and just really different.  I think it's going to look great.  (That's like the ONLY thing I'm certain on, by the way.  ;)  But I'm also pretty sure the dark cupboards will look great in the kitchen and bathrooms; if you look back at the pictures of the model home I posted in week 1, you can see we picked the exact ones they had, and I thought they looked fantastic.


The second pic is just showing the cupboards with the wood floor and carpet and granite we picked for the kitchen, as all those colors will kind of be meshed together on the first floor.  The carpet is actually darker in real life than it is in this photo; maybe the light caught it weird or something.  With two kids and two cats and a (future) dog, we NEED dark carpet that hides stains well!


Anyway, hope you like?  Do I suck and need an interior designer to come and rescue me?  I may...
Oh and sorry for the lack of pictures showing other things we chose.  Next week I'll do better at documenting.  :)

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I am sure it will look great. i remember what it is like and the flooring cabinets and counters are perfect thing to make your big upgrades. it was VERY overwhelming for me to when we did it. I will say, dark carpet is a MUST. if you go to my family blog and look at the pictures from this post http://goodsellandgoodsell.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-home.html, we had dark carpets.. even darker than you picked. I look forward to redoing the carpets in this house because they are so light and crappy (but 3000 sqft costs a lot to carpet). No one will hate your house... and even if they did it doesn't matter if you love it!

Erin said...

Wish I had different carpet. I picked it but my 3 current animals have basically ruined it. :(

Cammy said...

Love it, it's going to be beautiful!

Krista said...

So I'll admit I'm really super jealous! Want to do me a return favor and see if B's new work is hiring? :-) I will be looking at your house when we hopefully build ours so keep posting!