Thursday, July 2, 2009

Once Upon a Time

When I was five years old, I fell in love with Ariel, from The Little Mermaid. As I was in the hospital for weeks, I watched this movie, over and over and over again. As soon as the credits started to roll, I’d ask my mom to please turn it on again. I knew every word, every song, and I could pretend I was her, and not me, sick and scared and hurting. (And yes, even as a 5 year old, did wonder how mermaids had babies. Out of their tail-fin? Their belly button? What??)

And then I fell in love with Beauty and the Beast. I loved Belle, I could relate to her more than any other Disney princess. She always had her nose in a book, like me; she even wore a yellow dress (my favorite color at the time) in the climatic ballroom scene where she and the beast finally fall in love. She was beautiful, and self-sacrificing to a fault, and though I didn’t really want to marry a beast when I grew up, (though I did marry someone almost as hairy, bahahahaha) I was so happy that she ended up with her prince charming.

I liked Cinderella too, though I couldn’t relate with her as much. I always secretly wished a fairy godmother would come to me, though, and make me beautiful and happy and turn me into what I was always made for. She had a happy ending, too.

Ah, and Sleeping Beauty. Born a princess, but raised a pauper. She found her prince charming, too. She was happy, in the end.

And what about Jasmine? She was a princess, but kind and humble enough to fall in love with a “street rat” (…riff-raff, I don’t, like that…ah now that song’s stuck in my head haha). She even had a tiger for a pet. She was rad, and had great abs.

And me? I found my prince charming. I never did get a fairy godmother, though Buckle did step in and help me with my wardrobe. ;) I’m not a princess, I can’t sing, and thank goodness I haven’t lost a parent like almost every other Disney princess out there. I don’t live in a palace, I don’t talk to my clock or candelabra, nor have any glass slippers – wouldn’t those be terribly unpractical? - and (as far as I know) have no evil step-mother/queen/witch/villain plotting my demise, and I certainly don’t have that cute hour-glass figure, and those smokin’ abs.

But I have enough.

I hope I can get my and they lived happily ever after, too.

9 comments:

Flighty said...

The Little Mermaid was my first favorite too. You are amazing, Brie, and you are well on your way to your own "Happily Ever After." xoxo

K said...

I think you will definitely have a happy ending. Although happiness does not come without strife (very unfortunate).

Perfect abs? Perfect hourglass figures? That's what annoys me about how women are portrayed in Disney movies. Big boobs. Small waist. Perfectly curved hips. It's all too much. Talk about fueling body image problems in young kids...

Penny said...

I loved your post as it brings so many memories and thoughts for old me too. We all grow u on fairy tales and believe that things will turn out well. Some people live charmed lives it seems like forever and some get to fight and struggle. Who do you think most people like and respct and admire? You know that answer and look in the mirror and it is YOU.

Telstaar said...

I hope you get your happily ever after, I hope its better than you could ever expect!

*huggles* Love you miss B. xo

Anonymous said...

This, by far, is the most relatable post for me.
We all want a happy ending, don't we?
I hope you get yours. I hope we all do.

Devon said...

By far one of my favorite posts :)

Not sure if it's because I sing those songs all day at work or becaue the pics are amazing...wait! I've got it. It's because I love the last story the most. Mmmhmm

sona said...

Oh brie, no doubt you will,X

Laura said...

I'd settle for a not so depressed ever after
or a never have to pay another bill ever after
but I think what we all strive for is the happy

Brooke said...

Darlin' post. I remember we would watch Little Mermaid over and over and over again. And sing Ahhh ahhh ahhh....I love that Disney Movie. My favorite. Always has been and always will be. You and your fam are so darling. Live your fairy tale the way you know how. The best will come of it. It looks like you have a good perspective and you're on the right path. Much love!