Wednesday, July 1, 2009

7 Eleven Lesbians

Whit and I frequent a 7 Eleven about a block or two from our house. Great Diet Coke and Diet D.P. from the fountain, and yummy maple donuts (for me) and apple fritters (gross, for her). Well, a couple of months ago, a family of Indians bought the particular store. (Not Native Americans, mind you, India Indians.) They’re great, we love them!

Sometimes they see just me wander in with my jammies and R.T. toting Lil C, but sans Whit. Other times they see just her on her way to work, alone, buying a giant 64 ouncer of Diet D.P. But at least a few times a week, they see us come in together, in need of sweets or caffeine refreshment.

Last night was no different. I paid for my donuts and soda first, and then was occupied with Cade at another part of the store. Whit paid for her donut, and then as we got into her car, she burst out laughing. This is what she told me:

As Whit was paying for her stuff, the nice Indian man said to her, “Oh, how nice, you come with your wife tonight!” To which she replies, simply, BUT ENTHUSIASTICALLY, “Uh-huh!”

WHAT? Pretty sure W’s as straight as can be, (and me too, HELLL-OOOO, I'm married!) and she just grinned stupidly and let him go on thinking we’re like, a thang. What is wrong with you, Weirdo?!

I can’t decide if we should find a new Sev or walk in next time, holding hands, just to keep up the image.

Any ideas?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. Totally keep up the image. Next time smooch in front of the donut case!

But in all seriousness -- nothing wrong with being gay and who cares if they think you guys are a couple? It's kind of adorable.

tawny said...

omg me laughing so hard right now.

I can totally see the scenario now at the 7-11. Two girls, one baby, every day picking up the 64 oz, in jammies....

hmmmm

I would think the same.

Glad you have a BF. We love Whit around these parts.

and I loooooove vanilla diet coke from that seven eleven. They make it soooooo sweet!!!! yum, now Im leaving to go get one. now.

lisalisa said...

walk in holding hands and sporting bright rainbow t-shirts!

Flighty said...

Hahaha. Awesome! That's kind of adorable. :)

kristin said...

ROFLMAO

Anonymous said...

Yeah, no big, nothing wrong with him thinking y'all are gay. That's a far better reaction than some real gay people get, so I give a nod to your 7-11 clerk of awesome.

Abby said...

Wait, so was the guy at the store genuinely being nice and small-talky without any kind of underlying that's-weird or that's-hilarious tone? Because if he was genuinely just being nice, well, I really like that.

I guess I just feel like heteronormativity (and specifically presumed heterosexuality) are so pervasive and so problematic... but apparently this guy has the perspective that that's not cool, so I'd especially want to support his 7-11! (I still don't want Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper though....)

licketysplit said...

SO hilarious! Thanks for sharing! I say go with it :)

Krista said...

LMAO!

brie said...

seriously, i think the dude was cool with it, which is pretty cool. :)

the thing that makes me laugh is that whit didn't correct him, tell him we were friends or something...

Cammy said...

FYI This post totally made my day! Have you seen that new show, The Goode Family, on ABC? A recent episode was about being comically accepting of lesbian couples (the friends made fools of themselves trying way too hard to be PC), it was hilarious.

Hayley said...

BAHAHA. That is the Whit I know and love.

Telstaar said...

LOL this is my final blog for the night and SUCH a good way to go to bed.

THanks for entertaining me :D

xox

Brooke said...

Go with the flow babe! I wnat to see what comments come next. Keep blogging about them.

Go in more often with Whit just to see what happens!!

Amber said...

Of course you are going to go with it. that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. You don't want to let the cute owners down. I am sure they wait for you "lovers" to walk in every day. What else do they have to look forward to?

Keely said...

At least their open minded? :)