Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Lesser of Two Evils?

My asthma has been terrible recently. I mean, we’re talking terrible enough that I’ve had three emergencies in roughly two weeks. I was put on a steroid burst to help me breathe better about two weeks ago, only for my lungs to significantly decrease in their functioning the minute I was off the Prednisone. I’ve been to see my allergist, and I was even in the ER. But nothing seemed to be working. I had been using either my rescue inhaler or my nebulizer several times a day to control my asthma, and just to give you a frame of reference for how much that truly is, doctors say that if you’re using your rescue inhaler more than twice a WEEK, then your asthma is not under control and you need medical help. I had been using my inhaler at least FIVE TIMES A DAY. It was that bad.

So I went in to see my OB for a regularly scheduled appointment yesterday, and they were immediately very concerned when they saw me, because I was breathless just trying to talk, and when they listened to my lungs, you could hear how much I was struggling to breathe. My doc didn’t know if sending me to the ER would be best, or if calling my pulmonologist and insisting I get into see her that day would be better. We went for the latter option, and my doc must have worked some sort of voodoo miracle, because it usually takes at least a month to get into my pulmonologist, but miraculously they got me in that very day.

So I went in to see my pulmonologist, and she was really concerned. My lungs were only functioning at 50% (read: that’s really sucky). So she prescribed me FIVE new lungs meds, and that doesn’t even count the steroid burst and round of antibiotics that she prescribed, as well.

Here’s where I am conflicted: what is worse for Baby A? Having a mama who is struggling to get adequate oxygen, or having her little body suddenly be bombarded with all of these new pills and steroids and inhalers? Would it be better to suffer a little bit with the breathing, but sacrifice that so that Avery doesn’t have to try to process all of these meds? I am honestly unsure. And I’m not trying to be a defiant, obstinate brat, and go against my doctor’s orders just to be an immature snot. I truly just want to do what is best for Avery.

So, admittedly, I have not started taking any of the new meds, withstanding the steroids. I’m really scared to. What are your thoughts on this? I am just so unsure of what would be best…

12 comments:

Heather Lindquist said...

Does your lack of oxygen effect the baby? That is a tough call, but I'd trust your docs on this one. Or......you could camp out on the couch for the next several weeks. Lol.

-heather L.

Angela said...

If you are not getting enough oxygen, then I'm pretty sure your baby isn't either. I would take the meds. I also have asthma, and know how miserable it is, but on top of being pregnant, all I can say is, "You poor thing." I hope you are feeling better soon!

brie said...

well, i seem to be getting enough oxygen. when they took my oxygen saturation levels, i was at 94%, which is decent. so, i somehow seem to be absorbing enough oxygen, even though my lungs aren't working great, which is the only reason i'm not currently sitting in a hospital bed, honestly.

Unknown said...

My sister is a Dr. so she ALWAYS tells me that she knows more about medical stuff than I do BECAUSE SHE WENT TO SCHOOL FOR IT FOR MOST OF HER LIFE!
I like to think I know best or can go a different route but honestly, they know more than what we do.
They are not going to give you something that is bad for your baby. They are there to HELP and oxygen is SOOO important for developing babies. Stroke, brain issues, CP are all some things that can result in babies that haven't rec. the oxygen they need.
You have what- 2 months left? at this point all of her vital organs are formed and drugs you are taking prescribed by your dr. are not going to be as high risk as your first trimester.
But YOU not being able to breathe and baby girl getting less oxygen than needed could be an issue.
I'd trust the dr's.

Unknown said...

Trust your doctor on this! They wouldn't give you anything that would harm the baby. Take the meds!

eden said...

ditto to the others on this.

i'm sure it must be a scary thought, but baby avery is pretty developed by now and the meds could potentially help so much. i say take them.

Anonymous said...

I'd take the meds. Surely your doctors wouldn't prescribe any meds that aren't safe for baby...and although you are at 94 O2 sat, lack of oxygen for you, does mean lack of oxygen for your baby girl. While I was in the hospital delivering my baby a few months ago, I had to wear an O2 mask even though I was breathing fine...they said my baby needed it.
good luck & hope you feel better soon!

allyssa marty carson said...

Im going to echo what lot of ppl said, i had asthma with my son, and like you i was short of breathe, my dr. told me if i wasnt getting oxygen niether is the baby. and that is bad!

brie said...

thanks all for your input. after talking to both my therapist and OB today, i have decided that i'm going to start taking the lung meds - they both have told me (as well as all of you) that it's extremely important that i do. so, i'm all in.

Cammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Prayin' for ya... hang in there! PS, you look fabulous! :)

Shanllleigh said...

I hope you are feeling better soon and the meds help!